Our busy schedules these days make us forget about our nails. These nails seem very hard to maintain but that’s a myth.
Believe me, maintaining healthy nails is a very easy task.
These are a compilation of some tips and tricks to maintain your nails –
1. To gain healthy fingernails we must look for avoiding infections and improving nail appearance. For this keep your nails clean and dry.
This prevents bacterial growth under the nails. Prolonged exposure to water and chemicals may lead to split fingernails.
2. Practice good nail hygiene. Trim your nails straight across, and further round the tips slightly in a gentle curve. Use sharp nail clippers or manicure scissors.
Keep your nails shaped properly.
3. Avoid biting or picking of nails. Doing this may damage the nail growth and can even cause infections. Also remember, your nails are not tools to open pop cans and boxes.
4. Everything related to our body’s health is related to our nutrition intake. So, intake of a balanced diet may lead you towards a healthy body and healthy fingernails.
Some researchers suggests that Biotin intake in a proper quantity through our diet may help in making weak/brittle fingernails strong !
5. Apply moisturizer to your nails and cuticles every day when you use your hand lotion ! Although nails are composed of dead cells but keeping them moisturized may help you maintain nail health.
And avoid nail polish removers that contain acetone or formaldehyde.
6. Wear shoes that fit properly to your foot, tight fit shoes may affect your nails. Also try alternate pair of shoes your wear every day !
7. Avoid “digging out” ingrown toenails, especially if they are infected and sore. If you are suffering from an ingrown toenail, see a dermatologist for treatment. Toenails are generally thick and difficult to cut. So, first soak your feet (5-10 minutes) in warm water mixed with one teaspoon of salt per pint of water.
All nail conditions are not always normal, consult your doctor or dermatologist if you discover:
Changes in nail shape
Changes in nail color, like discoloration of the nail.
Swelling or pain around the nails
Bleeding around the nails, or any other issue.